In this article, we will see 24 Important Questions and Answers about the Golden Gate Bridge. It is one of the most beautiful and most photographed bridge in the World. This bridge is one of the most internationally recognized symbols of San Francisco and California. It is also declared as one of the Wonders of the Modern World by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
The Golden Gate Bridge is constructed to serve as a permanent link between San Francisco and Marin County, previously which the only means of transport between the two places was through ferry boats. Along with the main traffic, it also carries pedestrian and bicycle traffic, and is designated as part of U.S. Bicycle Route 95. We will see some more important questions and answers about this bridge in below section.
24 Important Questions and Answers about the Golden Gate Bridge
Also Read: Pangong Tso – World’s Highest Saltwater Lake That Changes Its Color
1. How long is the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. The total length of the bridge including approaches from abutment to abutment is 1.7 miles or 8,981 ft or 2,737 m.
2. Where is the golden gate bridge located ?
Ans. It is located in San Francisco and Marin County.
3. When was the golden gate bridge built ?
Ans. 5th January 1933
4. How tall is the golden gate bridge ?
5. When did golden gate bridge opened ?
Ans. It was officially opened on 27th May, 1937.
6. How much did the golden gate bridge cost ?
Ans. The total construction cost of bridge came in about $35 million.
7. What color is the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. International Orange
8. Why is it called the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. The Golden Gate part of the name comes from the fact that the bridge spans the Golden Gate Strait which is the entrance into San Francisco Bay.
9. How many people died building the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. Officially, eleven people died building the Golden Gate Bridge.
10. Why is the golden gate bridge red ?
Ans. It is not exactly red but orange vermilion, deemed "International Orange." It is painted as distinctive orange color because it blends well with the span's natural setting as it is a warm color consistent with the warm colors of the land masses in the setting as distinct from the cool colors of the sky and sea. It also provides enhanced visibility for passing ships. More on official website.
11. Who built the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. Joseph B. Strauss led the way as Chief Engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge. He was assisted by a talented team of professionals that finally designed and built the bridge.
12. How old is the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. The bridge is 89 years old.
13. What type of bridge is the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. The Golden Gate Bridge is a suspension bridge.
14. Why was the golden gate bridge built ?
Ans. The lack of connection between the San Francisco Peninsula and the southern end of Marin County was always an inconvenience for the city's traffic. The only means of transport available was ferry boats. A bridge to span this gap and connect the two was sure to benefit both sides and help to foster a prosperous future for San Francisco and Marin County alike.
15. What does the golden gate bridge connect ?
Ans. The Golden Gate Bridge spans the Golden Gate, a one-mile-wide strait that connects San Francisco Bay to the Pacific Ocean.
16. How deep is the water under the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. Under the Golden Gate Bridge, the depth of water is more than 300 feet.
17. What was found under the golden gate bridge ?
Ans. Underneath the Golden Gate Bridge lies the wreck of the City of Chester, a steamboat that sank on August 22, 1890 at 10 a.m. The boat was impaled on the steamer Oceanic, arriving from Asia, and sunk in six minutes. It traveled to the seafloor and settled in, still upright.
18. When did the golden gate bridge collapsed ?
Ans. The original Golden Gate Bridge collapsed during an earthquake in 1906.
19. How much does the golden gate bridge weigh ?
Ans. The total weight of bridge, anchorages, and approaches (1937) is 894,500 tons (811,500,000 kg).
20. How many have died jumping off golden gate bridge ?
Ans. More than 1700 people are estimated to have jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge since 1937.
21. What is the golden gate bridge made of ?
Ans. The construction material used in the bridge is mostly made up of Steel. According to an estimate, about 83,000 tons of steel was used on this bridge.
22. Why is the golden gate bridge famous ?
Ans. After completion in 1937, the Golden Gate bridge became the tallest and longest suspension bridge in the world. It got its recognition as a symbol of the power and progress of the United States, and it set a precedent for suspension-bridge design around the world.
23. Who was the first fatality in the construction of Golden Gate Bridge ?
Ans. The first fatality was Kermit Moore on October 21, 1936.
24. Which Construction company carried out the construction of the bridge ?
Ans. The construction was carried out by the McClintic-Marshall Construction Co., a subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel Corporation.