In this article, we will look into 25 most frequently asked questions about panama canal. It is known as one of the greatest engineering marvels of all time. Before the construction of canal, if any ship needs to transit between North and South America, then it has to follow the tedious and hazardous Cape horn route, around the southernmost tip of South America. With the construction of Canal, a great deal of time and effort has been saved. The American Society of Civil Engineers has ranked the Panama Canal as one of the seven wonders of the modern world. We will see some of the most frequently asked questions about this canal in below section.
25 Most Frequently Asked Questions About Panama Canal
1. What is Panama Canal ?
Ans. It is an artificial waterway in Panama which connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean for the ships to transit.
2. How long is the Panama Canal ?
Ans. The length of the Panama Canal from shoreline to shoreline is about 40 miles (65 km) and from deep water in the Atlantic (more specifically, the Caribbean Sea) to deep water in the Pacific about 50 miles (82 km).
3. When was the Panama Canal built ?
Ans. The construction of canal was started way back in 1881 by France. But it was only completed in 1914.
4. Who built the Panama Canal ?
Ans. A French company headed by Ferdinand, viscount de Lesseps, started to build a canal in 1881 but failed by 1889. The United States, led by Pres. Theodore Roosevelt, negotiated the Hay–Bunau-Varilla Treaty, giving the U.S. control of the Canal Zone.
5. Who owns the Panama Canal ?
Ans. It is managed and operated by the government-owned Panama Canal Authority.
6. Where is the Panama Canal ?
Ans. As the name suggests, it is in Panama.
7. Why was the Panama Canal built ?
Ans. The Panama Canal was built to lower the distance, cost, and time it took for ships to carry cargo between the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
8. How long did it take to build the Panama Canal ?
Ans. It took around 10 years to build the Panama Canal.
9. How wide is the Panama Canal ?
Ans. Canal locks are 33.5 m (110 ft) wide.
10. When did the Panama Canal open ?
Ans. It was opened on August 15, 1914.
11. When was the Panama Canal completed ?
Ans. It was completed in the year 1914.
12. How many locks are there in the Panama Canal ?
Ans. There are twelve locks in the Panama Canal.
13. How many people died building the Panama Canal ?
Ans. According to an estimate, a massive 25,000 workers lost their lives.
14. Which two oceans does the Panama Canal link ?
Ans. It connects Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean.
15. How deep is the Panama Canal ?
Ans. The Canal has an average depth of about 43 feet (13 metres).
16. What year was the Panama Canal built ?
Ans. The Canal construction officially started in the year 1814 and finished in the year 1914.
17. Why did the France stopped the canal work in 1881 ?
Ans. Canal work was stopped because of lack of investors’ confidence due to engineering problems and a high worker mortality rate. More on wikipedia .
18. Why is the Panama Canal Important ?
Ans. Panama Canal is important because it saves the ship transit distance between the east and west coasts of North America by 9200 miles(14,800 kilometers).
19. What are concerns facing the Panama Canal today ?
Ans. There are number of concerns with the canal today but the major one is from the climate change. The change in climate is causing drought so intense that ships sometimes reduce their cargo so as not to run aground.
20. When did Panamanian government taken over the canal from United States ?
Ans. It was taken over in the year 1999.
21. Who was the president of USA when canal was built ?
Ans. President Theodore Roosevelt
22. Which disease was one of the panama canal’s biggest changes ?
Ans. Malaria continued to pose the greatest threat during entire construction program. The construction of canal was a great demonstration of malaria control based on an integrated mosquito control program enforced by the military.
23. How much money United States spent to finish the Canal project ?
Ans. The United States spent almost $500 million to finish the project.
24. Which lake is being used to provide waters to operate canal locks ?
Ans. Gatun Lake
25. Which of the countries controlled the territory surrounding the canal during construction ?
Ans. Colombia, France and United States