In this article, we will see 30 American Civil war most frequently asked questions and answers. The American Civil War was a civil war in the United States between the Union (states that remained loyal to the federal union, or “the North”) and the Confederacy (states that voted to secede, or “the South”) that started from 1861 and lasted till 1865. The main reason of the war was the status of slavery, especially the expansion of slavery into territories acquired as a result of the Louisiana Purchase and the Mexican-American War. During the war, there were many important battles fought. We will see all the most frequently asked questions and answers from those in below section. More on wikipedia.
30 American Civil War Most Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
1. Who won the Battle of Gettysburg ?
Ans. The Union had won the Battle of Gettysburg.
2. Who won the Battle of Antietam ?
Ans. Although many historians believes the Battle of Antietam was stalemate but Union claimed victory in that battle.
3. Who won the Battle of Shiloh ?
Ans. The Battle of Shiloh ended with Union victory over Confederate forces in Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee.
4. Who won the Battle of Yorktown or Siege of Yorktown ?
Ans. The Siege of Yorktown remained Inconclusive after Confederate withdrawal to Williamsburg.
5. When was the Battle of Gettysburg fought ?
Ans. The Battle of Gettysburg was fought on July 1–3, 1863.
6. When was the Battle of Yorktown ?
Ans. It was fought from April 5 to May 4, 1862.
7. Who won the Battle of Fort Sumter ?
Ans. After the attack by Confederate forces in 1861, Union surrendered the Fort which remained under Confederacy for next four years until it was finally taken back by the Union forces in 1865.
8. Why was the Battle of Gettysburg important ?
Ans. The Battle of Gettysburg ended Confederate general Robert E. Lee’s ambitious second quest to invade the North and bring the Civil War to an end. The loss in the battle dashed the hopes of the Confederate States of America to become an independent nation.
9. What was the bloodiest Battle of the Civil War ?
Ans. Battle of Gettysburg was the bloodiest battle of American Civil war.
10. What was the first Battle of the civil war ?
Ans. The Battle of Fort Sumter was the first Battle of the American Civil war.
11. Who won the Battle of Vicksburg ?
Ans. The Siege of Vicksburg was a decisive Union victory during the American Civil War.
12. Where was the Battle of Gettysburg fought ?
Ans. The Battle of Gettysburg was fought in and around the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, by Union and Confederate forces during the American Civil War.
13. How many Casualties in the Battle of Antietam had happened ?
Ans. Union casualties was around 12,400 and Confederate casualties was around 10,320.
14. What was the last Battle of the civil war ?
Ans. Battle of Appomattox Court House on 9th April, 1865 was the last battle of American civil war.
15. When was the Battle of Trenton fought ?
Ans. It was fought on the morning of December 26, 1776.
16. Where was the Battle of Antietam fought ?
Ans. It was fought at Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, Maryland.
17. Who won the Battle of Chancellorsville ?
Ans. The Confederacy won a huge victory in the Battle of Chancellorsville.
18. Who won the Battle of Fredericksburg ?
Ans. The Confederacy won an overwhelming victory in the bloodiest battle of Fredericksburg.
19. Why was the Battle of Yorktown important ?
Ans. The Siege of Yorktown, also known as the Battle of Yorktown, stalled Union Major General George B. McClellan’s Peninsula Campaign for four weeks, thus enabling the Confederacy to shore up its defenses of Richmond, Virginia.
20. How many Battles were in the Civil War ?
Ans. More than 50 major battles were fought in the American Civil war.
21. Who won the Battle of Franklin ?
Ans. Union Forces won the battle of Franklin.
22. Who won the Battle of Hampton Roads ?
Ans. Both the Confederate and Union forces claimed victory after the battle of Hampton Roads.
23. Who won the Battle of Chickamauga ?
Ans. The Confederate Army won the battle of Chickamauga.
24. How long was the Battle of Gettysburg ?
Ans. The Battle of Gettysburg lasted a total of three days, from July 1-3, 1863.
25. How many soldiers died during the Battle of Fort Sumter on Apr 12 – 14, 1861 ?
Ans. There was little to no casualty after Union major Robert Anderson surrendered Fort Sumter to Brig. Gen. P.G.T Beauregard’s Confederate forces.
26. Who won the First Battle of Bull Run ?
Ans. The first battle of Bull run ended with Confederate Victory.
27. Where was the Battle of Bull Run fought ?
Ans. The first battle of Bull Run was fought at Prince William County, Virginia on July 21, 1861 and the second battle of Bull run was fought at a small stream named Bull Run, near Manassas in northern Virginia(August 28–30, 1862).
28. Who won the second Battle of Bull Run ?
Ans. Confederate Army Under Robert E. Lee won the Second Battle of Bull Run.
29. Who led the confederate army in the Battle of Gettysburg ?
Ans. General Robert E. Lee led confederate army in the bloodiest battle of Gettysburg.
30. Who was the Union General in the Battle of Fredericksburg ?
Ans. Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside was the Union General in the battle of Fredericksburg.