In this article, we will look into 50 World's Mountain Ranges Most Frequently Asked Questions and Answers. Mountain Ranges are a series of mountains or chain of mountains or hills that are connected together through variety of terrains, landmasses, slopes and high grounds. Mountain ranges formation is a result of multiple complex geological processes that occurs over a million of years. Some of the mountain ranges in our planet is even billion years old. We will see some of the most frequently asked questions about some of the famous mountain ranges in below section.
50 World's Mountain Ranges Most Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
1. How does the Scandinavian mountain range affect Norway and Sweden ?
Ans. The western sides of the mountains drop precipitously into the North Sea and Norwegian Sea, forming the fjords of Norway, whereas to the northeast they gradually curve towards Finland. To the north they form the border between Norway and Sweden, reaching 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) high at the Arctic Circle.
2. What mountain range is found in Norway and Sweden ?
Ans. The Scandinavian Mountains or the Scandes runs on both Norway and Sweden.
3. What is the tallest mountain in the world ?
Ans. Mount Everest with peak altitude of 8849 m is the tallest mountain in the world.
4. Where are the Appalachian mountains located ?
Ans. The Appalachian Mountains are a system of mountain ranges running along the eastern coast of North America from Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, in the north to Alabama, USA, in the south.
5. Where are the Rocky mountains located ?
Ans. The Rocky Mountains of North America, or the Rockies, stretch from northern Alberta and British Columbia in Canada southward to New Mexico in the United States, a distance of some 3,000 miles (4,800 kilometres).
6. Where are the smoky mountains located ?
Ans. It is located along the Tennessee - North Carolina border in the southeastern United States.
7. How are mountains formed ?
Ans. Majority of the mountains formed with the movement of tectonic plates in the Earth's crust region. When two convergent plate boundary collides due to rotation of earth, the denser plate goes below causing the lighter one to rise up slowly for million of years resulting into formation of mountain ranges.
8. Where are the Andes mountains located ?
Ans. Andes Mountains is located in western South America.
9. Which is the tallest mountain in North America ?
Ans. Mount McKinley
10. What is the World's tallest mountain from base to peak ?
Ans. Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain from base to peak at more than 33,500 feet [10,210 meters].
11. Where are the Himalayan mountains located ?
Ans. The Himalayas stretch across the northeastern portion of India. They cover approximately 1,500 mi (2,400 km) and pass through the nations of India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Bhutan and Nepal.
12. What mountain range separates Spain and Portugal from mainland Europe ?
Ans. The Pyrenees mountain range.
13. Where are the Blue Ridge mountains located ?
Ans. the Blue Ridge Mountains are located in the eastern part of the United States of America stretching from Georgia to Pennsylvania .
14. What is the tallest mountain in the United States ?
Ans. Denali is the highest mountain peak in North America.
15. Where are the Caucasus mountains located ?
Ans. Caucasus Mountains, is located in southern Russia just north of the Georgian border.
16. Where is Fuji mountain located ?
Ans. Fuji mountain is located in Yamanashi and Shizuoka ken (prefectures) of central Honshu, Japan, about 60 miles (100 km) west of the Tokyo-Yokohama metropolitan area.
17. What states are in the Appalachian mountains located ?
Ans. It is located in the states of Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, New Jersey, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.
18. Where are the Ozark mountains located ?
Ans. Ozark Mountains are located in the south-central United States, extending southwestward from St. Louis, Missouri, to the Arkansas River.
19. Where is the Mountain Kilimanjaro located ?
Ans. Mount Kilimanjaro is located in Tanzania.
20. How many people have climbed mount Everest ?
Ans. Till date, more than 4000 people have climbed Mount Everest.
21. How old are the Appalachian mountains ?
Ans. The Appalachian region is more than a billion years old.
22. Where are Cascade mountains located ?
Ans. The Cascade Range is part of a vast mountain chain that spans for over 500 miles, from Mount Shasta, in northern California to British Columbia in the north.
23. What mountain range is Mount Everest in ?
Ans. Mount Everest is a peak in the Himalaya mountain range.
24. Where are the Pyrenees mountains located ?
Ans. The Pyrenees Mountains are located in southwest Europe, forming a natural border between France and Spain.
25. Where are the Sierra Nevada mountains located ?
Ans. Sierra Nevada mountains located in the Western United States, between the Central Valley of California and the Great Basin.
26. Where are the Ural mountains located ?
Ans. The Urals rise like a long and narrow spine across western Russia, forming a natural divide between Europe and Asia.
27. What is the longest mountain range in the world ?
Ans. The mid-ocean ridge is the longest mountain range on Earth.
28. Where are the Adirondack mountains located ?
Ans. The Adirondack mountains are located in Northern New York, about 4 hours north of Manhattan and two hours south of Montreal.
29. Where are the Atlas mountains located ?
Ans. Atlas Mountains are a mountain range located in the Maghreb in North Africa.
30. Where are the Carpathian mountains located ?
Ans. Carpathian mountains are a range of mountains which shares its territory with Seven countries - Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovak Republic, and Ukraine.
31. Where are the Pocono mountains ?
Ans. Pocono Mountains, also called Poconos are located in the eastern Carbon counties of northeastern Pennsylvania, U.S.
32. Where is K2 mountain range located ?
Ans. It lies in the Karakoram range, partially in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan-administered Kashmir and partially in a China-administered territory of the Kashmir region included in the Taxkorgan Tajik Autonomous County of Xinjiang. More on wikipedia.
33. Where is Mammoth mountain located ?
Ans. Mammoth Mountain is located in Mammoth Lakes, California along the 395 corridor in the Eastern Sierra
34. Where is Sugarloaf mountain located ?
Ans. Sugarloaf Mountain is a peak situated in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, at the mouth of Guanabara Bay on a peninsula that juts out into the Atlantic Ocean.
35. How tall is Mount Everest ?
Ans. Mount Everest's peak is the highest altitude above mean sea level at 29,029 feet [8,848 meters].
36. What are the tallest mountains in Africa ?
Ans. The tallest mountains in Africa includes Mount Kilimanjaro(5895 m), Mount Kenya(5199 m), Mount Stanley(5109 m), Mount Speke(4890 m), Mount Baker(4844 m), Mount Emin(4798 m) etc.
37. What is the second highest mountain in the World ?
Ans. K2, also called Mount Godwin Austen, called locally Dapsang or Chogori, is the world's second highest mountain peak in the World.
38. What is the tallest mountain in Africa ?
Ans. Mount Kilimanjaro is the tallest mountain in Africa.
39. How long does it take to climb Mount Everest ?
Ans. It takes about two months to climb Mt. Everest.
40. Where are the Catskill mountains located ?
Ans. The Catskill Mountains are located in southeast New York State, between Albany and New York City.
41. Who was the first person to climb Mount Everest ?
Ans. Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first to reach the Mount Everest Summit.
42. Where is McKinley mountain located ?
Ans. Mountain McKinley is located in south-central Alaska.
43. Which continent has more mountains than North America ?
Ans. Asia is the most mountainous of all the continents. More than 50 of the highest peaks in the world are in Asia.
44. How old are the Rocky mountains ?
Ans. The Rocky Mountains are about 80 Million to 55 Million Years Old.
45. What type of plate boundary causes mountains to form by uplift ?
Ans. Convergent Plate Boundary
46. When did the Himalayan mountain range begin to form ?
Ans. It began to form between 40 and 50 million years ago.
47. Where are the Alps mountains located ?
Ans. Alps mountains is located in south-central Europe.
48. What is the smallest mountain in the world ?
Ans. Mount Wycheproof, in Australia, has been called the smallest mountain in the world.
49. Where are the Kunlun mountains located ?
Ans. The Kunlun Mountains start from the Pamir Mountains of the Republic of Tajikistan and extend across the western part of China spanning the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, the Tibet Autonomous Region, and the Chinese province of Qinghai.
50. Where is Mount Everest located ?
Ans. It is located between Nepal and Tibet, an autonomous region of China.