In this article, we will see 30 Important Questions and Answers on World's Famous Dams. A Dam is a man made structure to stop or restrict the natural flow of rivers and other water streams so that it can be stored in a reservoir from where it can be used for irrigation, human consumption, industrial use, aquaculture, and probably for navigability as well and then the Dam can itself be used for generating hydropower. There are lot of Dams built around the world for multi purposes. We will look into some of the frequently asked questions and answers about those dams in below section.
30 Important Questions and Answers on World's Famous Dams
1. Where is the Hoover Dam located ?
Ans. Hoover Dam is located near Boulder City, Nevada in United States. More on official website.
2. When was the Hoover Dam built ?
Ans. It was constructed between 1931 and 1936.
3. Where is the Three Gorges Dam located ?
Ans. It is located in Yiling District, Yichang, Hubei province, China.
4. Where is Oroville Dam located ?
Ans. It is built on the Feather River east of the city of Oroville, California in the United States.
5. When was the Oroville Dam built ?
Ans. The construction started in 1961 and after numerous difficulties it was finally finished in 1968.
6. Where is the Grand Coulee Dam located ?
Ans. It is located 230 miles northeast of Seattle in north-central Washington State.
7. What river is the Grand Coulee Dam on ?
Ans. Grand Coulee Dam is on the Columbia River in the U.S. state of Washington.
8. Where is Bonneville Dam located ?
Ans. Bonneville dam is located 40 miles (64 km) east of Portland, Oregon, in the Columbia River Gorge.
9. When was Hartwell Dam built ?
Ans. It was built between 1955 and 1962.
10. Which is the Highest Dam in India ?
Ans. Tehri Dam is the highest Dam in India with a height of 260.5 metres.
11. Which is the Longest Dam in India ?
Ans. Hirakud Dam is the longest dam in India with a total length of 25.79 km.
12. Which is the Largest Dam in India ?
Ans. The Tehri Dam is India's largest dam.
13. Where is Hirakud dam located ?
Ans. Hirakud Dam is built on River Mahanadi in Sambalpur district of Odisha.
14. Where is Bhakra Nangal dam located ?
Ans. It is located in the Bhakra Village in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh in northern India.
15. Where is Tehri dam located ?
Ans. It is built on the Bhagirathi River in New Tehri, Tehri Garhwal district in Uttarakhand, India.
16. Where is Salal Dam located ?
Ans. Salal Dam is located in Reasi district of Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir.
17. Where is Sardar Sarovar Dam located ?
Ans. It is built on the Narmada river in Navagam near Kevadiya, Narmada District , Gujarat in India.
18. Which is the Largest Dam in the World ?
Ans. Three Gorges Dam in China is the World largest Dam.
19. Where is Nagarjuna Sagar Dam located ?
Ans. It is built on the Krishna River at Nagarjuna Sagar which straddles the border between Nalgonda district in Telangana and Palnadu district in Andhra Pradesh.
20. Where is Mullaperiyar dam located ?
Ans. It is located 881 m (2,890 ft) above mean sea level, on the Cardamom Hills of the Western Ghats in Thekkady, Idukki District of Kerala, India.
21. Where is Rana Pratap Sagar Dam located ?
Ans. It is built on Chambal River at Rawatbhata town in Chittorgarh district in the Indian state of Rajasthan.
22. Where is Tungabhadra dam located ?
Ans. It is located in Hospet in the Ballari district of Karnataka.
23. Which is the Oldest dam in India ?
Ans. Kallanai Dam built across the Kaveri river of Tamil Nadu is the oldest dam (first dam) in India.
24. How many Dams are there in India ?
Ans. India has 5,202 large dams.
25. Which is the biggest dam in Kerala ?
Ans. Idukki dam is the biggest dam in Kerala.
26. Where is Koyna Dam located ?
Ans. It is located in Koyana Nagar, Satara District, Maharashtra.
27. When was the Shasta Dam built ?
Ans. It was built during the seven-year period between 1938 and 1945.
28. How long did it take to build the Hoover Dam ?
Ans. It took 5 years to build the Hoover Dam.
29. Where is Ranjit Sagar Dam located ?
Ans. It is located upstream of the Madhopur Barrage at Madhopur on the border of Union Territory, Jammu and Kashmir and state Punjab.
30. Where is Mangla Dam located ?
Ans. It is located on the Jhelum River about 30 km from Jhelum in Pakistan.