In this article, I will take you through 20 Important Questions about Christopher Columbus History and Voyages. The achievement of Columbus in finding the new trading route from Europe to Asia was a tremendous mark in the history that made the future merchant and traders lives easy. This is simply because with the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman empire in 1453, the silk route was closed to European Christian traders who had long enjoyed a safe land passage on the Silk Road to parts of East Asia (including China) and Maritime Southeast Asia, which were sources of valuable goods. More on wikipedia.
20 Important Questions about Christopher Columbus | History and Voyages
1. Who was Christopher Columbus ?
Ans. Christopher Columbus was an Italian explorer and navigator who did four voyages across the Atlantic ocean in his lifetime. He was known for the 'discovery' of the New World of the Americas on board his ship Santa Maria.
2. When did Christopher Columbus discover America ?
Ans. October 12th, 1492
3. Where did Christopher Columbus land in America ?
Ans. He made landfall in the Bahamas.
4. How did Christopher Columbus die ?
Ans. Columbus died due to an heart attack at the age of 55 years on 20th May 1506.
5. Where was Christopher Columbus born ?
Ans. He was born in in Genoa, Italy.
6. When did Christopher Columbus sail the ocean blue ?
Ans. August 3rd, 1492
7. What was Christopher Columbus nationality ?
Ans. He was an Italian explorer.
8. When did Christopher Columbus die ?
Ans. He died on May 20, 1506 in Valladolid, Spain.
9. What country did Christopher Columbus sail for ?
Ans. He set sail for the voyage across the Atlantic for the new world.
10. Where is Christopher Columbus buried ?
Ans. Although Columbus died in Spain and he was initially buried there, his desire was to be buried in the new world. But due to lack of infrastructure his remains were later moved to the convent at La Cartuja, an island in a river near Seville.
11. Why did Christopher Columbus explore the new World ?
Ans. Columbus wanted to find a new trading route to India, China, Japan and the Spice Islands. So that he could reach these lands and bring back the rich cargoes of silks and spices which was blocked by the Ottoman Empire through silk road.
12. When is Christopher Columbus day ?
Ans. In the United States, Columbus Day is always celebrated on the second Monday in October. In 2022, it is on 10th October.
13. Who funded Christopher Columbus voyage ?
Ans. Columbus made his transatlantic voyages under the sponsorship of Ferdinand II and Isabella I, the Catholic Monarchs of Aragon, Castile, and Leon in Spain.
14. Where did Christopher Columbus land in America ?
Ans. On October 12, 1492, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus made landfall in what is now the Bahamas.
15. Who discovered America before Christopher Columbus ?
Ans. Five hundred years before Columbus, a daring band of Vikings led by Leif Eriksson set foot in North America and established a settlement.
16. How old was Christopher Columbus when he died ?
Ans. 55 years
17. What did Christopher Columbus wrote about mermaids ?
Ans. When he was sailing near what is now the Dominican Republic, sees three “mermaids” - in reality manatees - and describes them as “not half as beautiful as they are painted.”
18. What was Christopher Columbus real name ?
Ans. Columbus was known by many names. In Italian he was known as Cristoforo Colombo, which was long thought to be his birth name, and in Spanish as Cristóbal Colón. But he has also been referred to, by himself and others, as Christoual, Christovam, Christofferus de Colombo, and even Xpoual de Colón.
19. Where did Christopher Columbus think he landed ?
Ans. After sailing across the Atlantic, he saw the Bahamas island and thought that he reached East Asia.
20. How many ships did Christopher Columbus have ?
Ans. Three ships - the Niña, Pinta, and Santa Maria.