In this session, I will take you through 50 Important Questions on Islands, Straits and Gulf. You will often see a few questions from Islands, Straits and Gulfs of the World every year in UPSC Prelims, PSC and in other government examinations. Hence it is very important for the UPSC/PSC/SSC Aspirants to have in-depth knowledge about the questions that can be asked from this topic. I have covered all such questions here which will be enough for someone to cover this topic.
Important Questions on Islands, Straits and Gulfs
Also Read: 33 Important Questions on Religion in India (UPSC IAS IPS IFS SSC)
1. Where is Bass Strait ?
Ans. It is Located between Tasmania and Australia. More on Straits of the World.
2. Where is Gulf of Bothnia located ?
3. Which are the two independent Island nations in Mediterranean ?
Ans. Cyprus and Malta
4. Which Strait joins Japan Sea to the Okhotsk Sea ?
Ans. Tatar Strait
5. Which Strait Connects Japan Sea with the Pacific Ocean ?
Ans. Tsungaru Strait
Also Read: 22 Important Questions on Geography of Uttar Pradesh(UP) for All Competitive Exams
6. Which Strait Connects Java Sea to the Celebeze Sea ?
Ans. Makkassar Strait
7. Which Strait Connects Gulf of Hudson to the Atlantic Ocean ?
Ans. Hudson Strait
8. Which Strait Connects Irish Sea to the Atlantic Ocean ?
Ans. North Channel
9. Which Strait Connects Red Sea to Gulf of Aden ?
10. Which Strait connects Java Sea to the Indian Ocean ?
Ans. Sunda Strait and Lombok Strait
Also Read: Super Cyclone Amphan | What is Super Cyclone | Second Biggest Cyclone After 1999
11. Which Strait Connects the Persian Gulf to Gulf of Oman ?
Ans. Strait of Hormuz
12. Which Strait Connects the Gulf of Mexico to Atlantic Ocean ?
Ans. Florida Strait
13. Which Strait is the nearest to the International Date Line ?
Ans. Bering Strait
14. Which Strait Connects Africa to Europe ?
Ans. Strait of Gibraltar
15. Which Strait Connects Corsica Island of France to Sardinia Islands of Italy ?
Ans. Bonifacio Strait
Also Read: Famous National Parks in India | 52 Best Questions and Answers for All Exams
16. Which Strait Connects Black Sea to Sea of Marmara ?
Ans. Bosphorus Strait
17. Which Strait Connects Sea of Marmara to Aegean Sea in Mediterranean ?
Ans. Dardanelles Strait
18. Which Strait Connects India to Sri Lanka ?
Ans. Palk Strait
19. Which Strait Connects the Baffin Bay to Labrador Sea ?
Ans. Davis Strait
20. Which Strait Separates out Great Britain from Continental Europe ?
Ans. Strait of Dover
Also Read: 500+ Important Interview Geography Questions Asked By UPSC Panel Part - 1
21. Which Strait Connects Pacific Ocean to Atlantic Ocean ?
Ans. Strait of Magellan
22. Which Strait Connects Tasman Sea to South Pacific Ocean ?
Ans. Cook's Strait
23. Which Strait Connects Adriatic Sea to Ionian Sea ?
Ans. Otranto Strait
24. Which Strait Connects Gulf of Mexico to Caribbean Sea ?
Ans. Yucatan Strait
25. Which Strait Connects Island of Sicily to Mainland Italy ?
Ans. Messina Strait
Also Read: 50 Best Questions on Rivers of India
26. Which Strait Connects South China Sea to East China Sea ?
Ans. Formosa Strait
27. Which Strait Connects South Island and Steward Island of New Zealand ?
Ans. Fovex Strait
28. Which Strait Connects North Atlantic Ocean to the Arctic Ocean ?
Ans. Denmark Strait
29. Which Strait Connects Arafura Sea to the Gulf of Papua ?
Ans. Taurus Strait
30. Which Strait Connects Black Sea to the Sea of Azov ?
Ans. Kerch Strait
31. Which Islands separates out Lombok and Sumbawa Islands of Indonesia ?
Ans. Alas Strait
32. Which Strait Connects Ellesmere Islands to the Greenland ?
Ans. Nares Strait
33. Which Strait Connects South China Sea to the Java Sea ?
Ans. Karimata Strait
34. Which Straits Connect Singapore to the Malaysia ?
Ans. Straits of Johor
35. Which Strait Connects Baltic Sea to the North Sea ?
Ans. Danish Straits
36. Which Strait Connects the Indian Ocean to the Bali Sea ?
Ans. Bali Strait
37. Where is the Gulf of Tonkin located ?
Ans. It is located at the East of North Vietnam in Pacific Ocean.
38. How many gulfs are there in the world ?
Ans. There are about 66 Gulfs in the World.
39. Where is the Gulf of Riga located ?
Ans. In the Baltic Sea
40. Which is the Most Populous Island in West Indies ?
41. Which is the largest Island in the Caspian Sea ?
Ans. Ogurja Ada
42. Which is the largest Island in the Black Sea ?
Ans. Saint Ivan
43. Which is the largest Island in the Pacific Ocean ?
Ans. New Guinea
44. Which is the largest Island in the Atlantic Ocean ?
45. Which is the largest Island in the Indian Ocean ?
46. Which is the Smallest Island in the Atlantic Ocean ?
Ans. Bishop Rock
47. Which is the Smallest Island in the Pacific Ocean ?
Ans. Republic of Nauru
48. Which is the Smallest Island is the Antarctica ?
Ans. Christiania Islands
49. Which is the Smallest Island in the Indian Ocean ?
50. Which is the largest Island in Antarctica ?
Ans. Alexander Island
I hope you liked this article on Islands, Straits and Gulfs. Please let me know your feedback on Comment Box.