In this article, we will look into 25 Important Questions About World’s Famous Grand Canyon. Even though the famous Grand Canyon is not the deepest gorge but still it’s intricate and colorful landscape makes it one of the unique canyon due to its overwhelming size. The Grand Canyon is a river valley in the Colorado Plateau that exposes uplifted Proterozoic and Paleozoic strata, and is also one of the six distinct physiographic sections of the Colorado Plateau province. More about Grand Canyon.
Important Questions About World’s Famous Grand Canyon
1. What is the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. Grand Canyon is the steep-sided canyon carved by the Colorado river in Arizona, United States.
2. What State is the Grand Canyon In ?
3. How was the Grand Canyon formed ?
Ans. Grand Canyon was formed as a result of million of years of erosion from the Colorado River cutting a deep channel through layers of rock.
4. How Deep is the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. It is around a mile deep.
5. How long is the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. It is around 277 miles long.
6. How Big is the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. The Grand Canyon is a mile deep, 277 miles long and 18 miles wide.
7. How Old is the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. According to few Scientists, Grand Canyon is as old as 70 million years old.
8. Where is the Grand Canyon located ?
Ans. Arizona, United States
9. What river flows through the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. Colorado river
10. Who discovered the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. In 1540s, Spanish explorers led by Hopi guides were the first Europeans to reach the Grand Canyon.
11. Where is the Grand Canyon Colorado river originates ?
Ans. Most of the flow of the Colorado River through Grand Canyon originates in the Rocky Mountain region
12. Why is the Grand Canyon so famous ?
Ans. Grand Canyon is famous because of its unbelievable size and its majestic landscape.
13. How far is the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas ?
Ans. It is located about 130 miles from the heart of Las Vegas.
14. How far is the Grand Canyon from Phoenix ?
Ans. It is located about 229 miles from Phoenix.
15. What City is the Grand Canyon in ?
Ans. Flagstaff is the closest major city near the Grand Canyon.
16. In which Plateau does the famous Grand Canyon located ?
Ans. Colorado Plateau
17. How far is Sedona from Grand Canyon ?
Ans. Sedona is approximately 117 miles from Grand Canyon.
18. How many people died at the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. As per few estimates, on an average about 15 to 20 people die every year in Arizona’s Grand Canyon National Park in incidents ranging from medical emergencies to falls and suicides.
19. How far is flagstaff from Grand Canyon ?
Ans. Flagstaff is approximately 83.5 miles from Grand Canyon.
20. What Airport is closest to the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport is the closest major international airport to the Grand Canyon.
21. Why temperature in North Rim of Grand Canyon is generally lower than the South Rim ?
Ans. Temperature on the North Rim is generally lower than those on the South Rim because of the greater elevation i.e around 8000 feet or 2400 metres above sea level.
22. Who was the first Geologist to visit the Grand Canyon ?
Ans. John Strong Newberry was the first geologist to visit the Grand Canyon.
23. Which of the deserts greatly influences the region around Grand Canyon ?
Ans. Mojave Desert and Sonoran Desert
24. Which is the last remaining tribal village inside the Canyon ?
Ans. The Havasupai live in the last remaining tribal village inside the canyon.
25. Which of the Animal Species are usually found near the Grand Canyon region ?
Ans. Grand Canyon and the surrounding regions are home to desert bighorn sheep, mule deer, mountain lions, coyotes, gray fox, and a large variety of reptiles, birds and rodents.