In this Section, I will take you through 30 Useful Questions on 73rd and 74th Amendment of Indian Constitution. As per NCERT, During India’s freedom movement, Mahatma Gandhi had strongly pleaded for decentralization of economic and political power. He believed that strengthening village panchayats was a means of effective decentralization. All development initiatives must have local involvement in order to be successful.
Panchayats therefore were looked upon as instruments of decentralization and participatory democracy. Our national movement was concerned about the enormous concentration of powers in the hands of the Governor General sitting at Delhi. Therefore, for our leaders, independence meant an assurance that there will be decentralization of decision making, executive and administrative powers.
73rd and 74th Amendment of Indian Constitution
1. What is 73rd Amendment of Indian Constitution is all about ?
Ans. The 73rd Amendment is about Rural Local body or Panchayati Raj Institution.
2. What is 74th Amendment of Indian Constitution is all about ?
Ans. The 74th Amendment of Indian Constitution is about Urban Local Government or Nagarpalikas
3. Which are the 3 Tiers of Panchayati Raj Institution ?
Ans. Below are the 3 Levels in Panchayati Raj Institutions:-
b)Mandal or Taluka Panchayats
4. Is Gram Sabha creation was mandatory in 73rd Amendment of Indian Constitution ?
Ans. Yes it is mandatory
5. What is the maximum year term for each level of Panchayati Raj ?
Ans. 5 Years
6. What if state government dissolves the Panchayat before the end of 5 Year term ?
Ans. Fresh Election must be held within 6 months of such dissolution.
7. How much reservation is provided for women in Panchayat ?
Ans. One third of the positions in all Panchayat Institutions are reserved for women.
8. How many state subjects need to be transferred to local body out of 29 State Subjects in 11th Schedule of the Constitution ?
Ans. It depends on state how many out of 29 subjects they transfer to local body.
Ans. No a separate act was passed in 1996 to extend Panchayati System in those areas.
Ans. No, It is an autonomous body.
11. Which commission examine the financial position of the local government of the state ?
Ans. State Finance Commission
12. Which area is known as Urban Area ?
Ans. Below are the criteria for an area to become an Urban area :-
a)Minimum Population of 5000
b)75% of working male population engaged in Non-agricultural activities
c)Density of Population of atleast 400 persons per sq.km.
13. Is 74th amendment of Indian Constitution is a repetition of 73rd amendment ?
Ans. Yes only difference is that 74th amendment applies to Urban Body.
14. Is women reservation is also applicable in sarpanch and adhyakshas positions ?
15. Who started amendment process of 74th amendment of Indian Constitution ?
Ans. Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1989
16. Which amendment brought in the definitions of Panchayat and Municipalities within the ambit of Constitution ?
Ans. 7th Amendment
17. When was 74th amendment of Indian Constitution passed ?
Ans. December 1992
18. When was 74th Amendment came into effect ?
Ans. From April 1993
19. As per 2011 Census, how much population lives in Urban Areas ?
20. Which amendment is known as Sister of 74th Amendment ?
Ans. 73rd Amendment
21. Which amendment is known as the Panchayati Raj Act ?
Ans. 73rd Amendment
22. Which amendment is known as the Nagarpalika Act ?
Ans. 74th Amendment
23. Which are the 3 Layers of Nagarpalika ?
Ans. Below are 3 layers of Nagarpalika from top to bottom:-
24. Which amendment bill passed in parliament and became 73rd and 74th Amendment ?
Ans. 64th(73rd) and 65th(74th) Amendment Bills
25. Which committee recommended Constitutional Status for Panchayats in 1986 ?
Ans. L.M Singhvi Committee
26. Which article was inserted by 73rd Amendment Act, 1992 ?
Ans. Article 243
27. Which of the Establishment came into being after 73rd Amendment ?
Ans. Three of the Establishment were introduced as part of 73rd Amendment:-
a)State Election Commission
b)State Finance Commission
c)District Planning Committee
28. When do we celebrate National Panchayat Raj day ?
Ans. 24th April
29. Why Dr. B.R Ambedkar was worried about creating a local governing body ?
Ans. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar which felt that the faction and caste-ridden nature of rural society would defeat the noble purpose of local government at the rural level.
30. Why Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was worried about creating a local governing body ?
Ans. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru looked upon extreme localism as a threat to unity and integration of the nation.
Reference: 73rd and 74th Amendment