In this article, I will go through 25 Important Questions on Transport and Communications in the World. Today we have different means of transport available for carrying goods and people from one place to another. This includes transport through Roadway, Railway, Waterway and by Air. Many countries has well developed road and rail network that provides easy and safe mode of transportation.
At the same time, countries has also well established their air connectivity from one place to another as a quick mode of transport. Given the fact that 71% of the Earth surface is covered with water, Waterway is another reliable mode of transport available to carry goods and commodities between two countries connected with the oceans, seas and rivers.
Important Questions on Transport and Communication in the World
1. Why West Asia least developed in Railway Lines ?
Ans. It is due to the large Desert area and least Populated region.
2. Which of the two Regions of South America has most dense rail network ?
Ans. Two most dense rail network region in South America are:-
- Pampas of Argentina
- Coffee Region of Brazil
3. Which is the longest National Highway in India ?
Ans. NH-7 connecting Varanasi with Kanyakumari is the longest National Highway in India. More about NH-7 on PIB.
4. Why South Africa alone having 18,000 KM railway network out of total Africa 40,000 KM railway network ?
Ans. It is due to the concentration of Gold, Diamond and Copper Mining Activities.
5. What are the Major African Railway Lines ?
Ans. Major African Railways Lines are:-
- The Benguela Railway through Angola to Katanga-Zambia Copper Belt
- The Tanzania Railway from the Zambian Copper Belt to Dar-es-Salaam
- The Railway through Botswana and Zimbabwe linking the landlocked states to the South African Network
- The Blue Train from Cape Town to Pretoria in the Republic of South Africa.
6. Where are the most of the New Zealand Railways are mainly Concentrated and why ?
Ans. Most of the railways are concentrated in the North Island to serve the Farming Areas.
7. Which Country has the highest density of Railway in the World ?
Ans. Belgium has the highest density of 1 km of railway for every 6.5 sq. kms area.
8. Who Operates Channel Tunnel which connects London with Paris ?
Ans. Euro Tunnel Group
9. Which types of Railway Gauges are usually used across different countries ?
Ans. There are usually four types of railways gauges currently in use:-
- Broad Gauge(more than 1.5 m)
- Standard Gauge(1.44 m)
- Meter Gauge(1 m)
- Smaller Gauges
10. Which Gauge is used in the UK ?
Ans. Standard Gauge
11. Which Train runs from Paris to Istanbul ?
Ans. Orient Express
12. Which is the Longest Railway Line in the World ?
Ans. Trans-Siberian Railway of around 9289 KM.
13. Which is the only Airport that uses word "World" in its designation ?
Ans. Will Rogers World Airport
14. Which train is currently the fastest train in the World ?
Ans. The magnetic levitation train is the fastest train in the World.
15. Which Station holds the record of having most number of passenger platforms in one station ?
Ans. The Grand Central Station in Midtown Manhattan holds the record of having 44 passenger platforms in one station.
16. Which Country has the straightest railway path in the world ?
Ans. Australia holds the record of having 478 Kilometers long straightest railway path in the World.
17. Where was the first underground railway built in the World ?
Ans. In 1863, the first underground railway opened in London.
18. Which is the oldest underwater rail tunnel in the World ?
Ans. Mersey Railway Tunnel is the oldest railway tunnel in the World.
19. Which is the World's longest undersea tunnel ?
Ans. Seikan Tunnel in Japan with a length of approximately 23.3 KM holds the record of world's longest undersea tunnel.
20. Which is the largest International Airport in the World ?
Ans. The King Fahd International Airport in Dammam, Saudi Arabia is the largest International Airport in the World.
21. Which Country has the World's longest Metro Network ?
Ans. Shanghai Metro in China has the World's longest Metro Network of 803 KM.
22. Which means of transport is known as the Safest Form of Transport as Per 2017 Airline Safety Statistics ?
Ans. Flying is known as the Safest Form of Transport as Per 2017 Airline Safety Statistics.
23. Which Country has the longest road network in the World ?
Ans. United States road network exceeds 6.58 million kilometres in total length, making it the world's longest and biggest road network.
24. Which is the largest Cargo Ship in the World ?
Ans. Ever Ace with a capacity of 23,992 TEUs is currently the World's largest Container Ship.
25. Which Country has the largest Waterways transport in the World ?
Ans. China has more than 75,000 miles (some 125,000 km) of navigable inland waterways, the most extensive system of any country in the world.