In this article, we will look into all Important Questions from 16 Mahajanapadas (History, Location and Capitals). After the decline of Indus Valley Civilization at around 1500 BC we see a number of large cities development after 1000 yrs at around 6th-5th BC near the Indo-Gangetic Regions. This time period also witnessed a rise in Buddhism and Jainism religion which rejects the Idea of Vedic Period.
We have many popular references like Anguttara Nikaya of Buddhist Texts which talks about the existence of 16 Great Kingdoms which was spreaded from North Western Region to the Eastern Region of Indian Subcontinent. We will look into all the Important Questions of these 16 Kingdoms from where questions can be asked in your UPSC Prelims Exam.
Important Questions from 16 Mahajanapadas for UPSC Prelims
1. How many Mahajanapadas were there in 600 BC ?
2. List out the 16 Mahajanapadas of 600 BC.
Ans. Below are the 16 Mahajanapadas:-
3. How many Mahajanapadas were near Ganga Valley Region ?
4. How many Mahajanapadas are there in Present day Uttar Pradesh ?
5. Which was the Most Powerful Mahajanapada ?
6. Which Mahajanapada people were highly trained in War ?
7. Which of the Mahajanapadas are mentioned in the Atharva Veda ?
Ans. Gandhara , Magadha and Anga
8. Where was Vatsa located in Present Day ?
Ans. It was located around Present Day Allahabad.
9. What was the Capital of Saurasena ?
10. What was the Capital of Matsya Mahajanapada ?
11. Which Mahajanapada was mentioned in Rigveda ?
12. What was the Capital of Chedi ?
13. How many Mahajanapadas are there in Present Day Bihar ?
14. What was the Capital of Anga ?
15. Which Mahajanapada followed monarchical form of governance ?
16. What was the Capital of Kosala ?
17. What was the Capital of Panchala ?
Ans. Ahichchatra and Kampliya
18. Which Mahajanapada Capital was located on the Bank of Godavari ?
Ans. Ashmaka or Assaka
19. How Mahajanapadas were formed ?
Ans. Janas(Tribal Clan)->Janapadas->Mahajanapadas
20. How many Kingdoms survived by the mid 6th Century BC out of 16 Mahajanapadas ?
Ans. Only 4 Kingdoms managed to survive out of 16 by the mid 6th Century BC. They are Vatsa , Avanti , Kosala and Magadha
21. Which of the Ancient Mahajanapadas was located on the Banks of River Yamuna ?
22. Which Kingdom became too powerful and finally survived out of remaining four Mahajanapadas ?
23. What are the factors due to which Magadha became so powerful of all the major Kingdoms ?
Ans. Below are few of the factors:-
- It lies between the upper and lower part of the Gangetic Valley Region.
- Its fertile plain provided a vast amount of agricultural surplus which was very much essential for raising Large Standing Army.
- It had huge Iron Reserves near the hills of Rajgir in South Bihar which enabled them to manufacture superior weapons.
- It also had huge deposits of Copper and Iron near the region of Gaya.
- Its early Capital Girivraja or Rajgir was surrounded by hill from all the sides which provided Natural Fortification.
- It was also located in the Centre of Highways of Trade which added in its wealth.
- Forests in the Southern part of the region provided timber and elephant.
24. Which Ruler was contemporary of both Buddha and Mahavira ?
25. Which Inscription shows the Conquest of Kalinga by Nandas ?
Ans. Hathigumpha Inscription of Kharavela of Kalinga
26. Which of the Powerful Kingdoms ruled in Magadh before Maurya Empire ?
Ans. Below are the list of Powerful Kingdoms who ruled Magadh before Mauryan Empire :-
- Haryanka Dynasty(Bimbisara, Ajatsatru)
- Shishunaga Dynasty(Shishunaga, Pradyota)
- Nanda Dynasty(Mahapadma Nanda, Dhana Nanda)
27. Who gave Kasi as dowry to Magadh ?
Ans. Kosala Ruler Prasenjit
28. Whose Sister was married to Bimbisara ?
Ans. Kosala Ruler Prasenjit
29. Who founded the Haryanka Dynasty ?
Ans. Bhattiya(Father of Bimbisara)
30. Who was the main rival of Magadh during the reign of Ajatashatru ?
For Linux/AWS Tutorials, Please check below Posts :-