In this Session, I will take you through 50 Important Indian Laws and Rules that Every UPSC/PSC Aspirants should know. Every Year you will always see one or two questions from Indian Law and Rules hence it is important to go through all Indian Law questions that can be asked in your exams. These questions will not only help you in UPSC exams but in other government exams as well where Indian law questions are equally important as compared to other subject questions. Hence we will go through all the Important Indian Laws and Rules that can be asked.
Popular Indian Laws and Rules
Also Read: Arms Act 1959 & Its Amendments
1. Which section governed the provision of Registration of political parties under Representation of the People Act, 1951 ?
Ans. Section 29A
2. What is Regulation 1.5 of the Indian Medical Council(Professional Conduct,Etiquette and Ethics) Regulations, 2002?
Ans. It mandates that every physician prescribe drugs with generic names legibly and preferably in capital letters.
3. Under which section of Disaster Management Act, State Executive Committee(SEC) decides the financing of relief measures ?
Ans. Section 20
4. Under which rule Non Performing Civil Servants can be removed ?
Ans. The provisions under Fundamental Rules (FR) 56(j), Rule 48 of Central Civil Services (CCS) (Pension) Rule, 1972 and Rule, 16(3) (Amended) of All India Services (Death-cum-Retirement Benefits) [AIS (DCRB)] Rules, 1958 have laid down the policy of periodic review and premature retirement of non-performing Government servants.
Also Read: Arms Act,1959
5. Which act provides for Land to be acquired for Strategic Purposes relating to Naval, Military, Air Force and Armed Forces of the Union Government ?
Ans. The Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013
6. Under which section of Industrial Dispute Act, 1947 Government can prohibit the continuance of any strike or lock out in connection with such dispute which may be in existence on the date of the reference ?
Ans. Section 10(3)
7. Which Act provides the hours of work of any person engaged for Operating a Transport Vehicle ?
Ans. The Motor Transport Workers Act, 1961
8. Which rule prohibit communication of an Official Document to anyone without authorization ?
Ans. Civil Service Conduct Rules, 1964
9. Which Section of Indian Evidence Act, 1872 prohibits the giving of evidence from unpublished official records without the permission of the Head of the Department ?
Ans. Section 123
10. Which act deals mainly with recruitment in India for service in a foreign state ?
Ans. The Foreign Recruiting Act, 1874
11. Which of the Indian Laws currently in force deals with the National Security ?
Ans. Below are the List of the Acts:-
- Chapters 6 and 7 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860
- The Foreign Recruiting Act, 1874
- The Official Secrets Act, 1923
- The Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1938
- The Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1961
- The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967
12. What is the primary objective of the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1961 ?
Ans. It is to punish persons who question the territorial integrity or frontiers of India in a manner prejudicial to the safety and security of the country.
13. What is the main criticism of Section 5 of Official Secrets Act, 1923 ?
Ans. Section 5 of this Act provides for punishment for unauthorized disclosure of Official secrets but omits to define secrets.
14. Which Rule prohibit unauthorized communication of information (similar provisions exist for the state government employees under their respective Rules) to any other government servant or any other person to whom he is not authorised to communicate ?
Ans. Central Civil Services (Conduct) Rules, 1964
15. Which Act was established to forbid the practice of Untouchability ?
Ans. Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955
16. Which rule governs the Resignation of IAS, IPS and IFS Officers ?
Ans. Rule 5(1) and Rule 5(1)(a) of the All India Services(Death-Cum-Retirement Benefit) Rules, 1958
17. Which Rule may allow withdrawl of resignation of IAS, IPS and IFS Officers within 90 days of its acceptance in Public Interest ?
Ans. Rule 5(1A)(i) of All India Services Rule, 1958
18. Which Act Prohibits the Sex Selective Abortion in India ?
Ans. Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques(PNDT) Act, 1994
19. Which Section of Indian Police Act, 1861 vests the Police Administration of the District under the control of the District Magistrate ?
Ans. Section 4
20. Which was the first Special Law attempted to define Terrorism ?
Ans. Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act, 1987
21. When did Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002 repealed ?
Ans. in 2004
22. When did the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 got amended last time ?
Ans. In 2004
23. Which Section of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 defines the terrorism act more precisely ?
Ans. Section 15
24. Which Section of CrPC talks about producing a person before the nearest magistrate within 24 hrs of arrest ?
Ans. Section 167
25. Which Anti-Terrorist Law currently in operation ?
Ans. The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act, 2004
26. Which Section of Indian Evidence Act, 1872 makes all confession made to a police officer inadmissible ?
Ans. Section 25
27. When did the Untouchability (Offences) Act, 1955 renamed as Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955 ?
Ans. November 1976
28. Under which act Human Rights Commission was established ?
Ans. Human Rights Act, 1993
29. Under which act National Commission for Women was established ?
Ans. National Commission for Women Act , 1990
30. Which Section of the The Panchayats (Extension to the Scheduled Area) Act, 1996 (PESA) provides for the establishment of a Gram Sabha for every village ?
Ans. Section 4
31. Under which section of Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969, Registrar General of India gets appointed ?
Ans. Section 3(i)
32. Which Act was enacted to collect the Levy and duties of excise on medicinal and toilet preparation containing alcohol, Narcotic Drugs or narcotics ?
Ans. The Medicinal and Toilet Preparations (Excise Duties) Act, 1955
33. To which of the Cooperative Societies MSCS Act, 2002 applies ?
Ans. The MSCS Act, 2002 applies to cooperative societies whose objects are not confined to only one State (having been formed to serve the interest of members in more than one State).
34. Under whIch Act the Public Service Commission (India) was replaced by the Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC) to conduct the ICS Examination in India independent of the British Commission ?
Ans. The Government of India Act, 1935
35. Under which Section of Companies Act, Nidhis get registered ?
Ans. Section 620A
36. What is the difference between IPC, 1860 and CrPC, 1973 ?
Ans. The primary purpose of IPC is to provide general penal code for India which provides punishments to wrong-doers whereas the primary goal of CrPC is to consolidate the criminal law in the country.
37. Which rule was formulated to ensure that registered medical practitioners dispense only generic medicines ?
Ans. The Drugs and Cosmetic Rules, 1945
38. Which Act mandates to provide health warnings on the packaging and advertisements of Tobacco Products ?
Ans. Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003 (COTPA)
39. Which Section of Government of Union Territories Act, 1963 states that there should be a Council of Ministers in each Union Territory to aid and advice the Administrator ?
Ans. Section 44
40. Which Section of the Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights Act, 2001 provides compensation to the farmers for non-performance of variety ?
Ans. Section 39(2)
41. Which provision governs the taxation of non-residents in India ?
Ans. It is governed by the provisions of the Income-tax Act, 1961 and the provisions of the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA)
42. Which Section of Information Technology Act, 2000 allows authorities to arrest users for posting content which was termed as offensive ?
Ans. Section 66A
43. Which Act was enacted for setting up the tribunals for adjudication over “disputes and complaints with respect to recruitment and conditions of service of persons” ?
Ans. The Administrative Tribunals Act, 1985
44. Which Act was formulated to address Sexual Abuse and Sexual Exploitation of Children ?
Ans. The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POSCO Act), 2012
45. Which Act provides for the eviction of unauthorised occupants from public premises in certain cases ?
Ans. Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Act, 1971
46. Which Section of Disaster Management Act, 2005 defines the NDRF (National Disaster Response Fund) ?
Ans. Section 46
47. For up to how much time period government can detain any person above the age of 16 without trial under Jammu and Kashmir Public Safety Act, 1978 ?
Ans. 2 Years
48. Which Section of Indian Forest Act, 1927 removes bamboo as a tree to ease the transit and felling restrictions in Private Land ?
Ans. Section 2(7)
49. Which Act defines forest rights as inclusive of ‘Right of ownership, access to collect, use and dispose of minor forest produce ?
Ans. The Forest Rights Act, 2006
50. Which Act defines Minor Forest Produce (MFP) as all non-timber forest produce of plant origin ?
Ans. Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act, 2006
I hope you liked this article on Important Indian Laws and Rules. Please let me know your feedback on the Comment Box.