In this article, we will discuss about 20 Most Active Insurgent Groups in India. Since Independence, there is a sudden rise in Insurgent Groups in India. Some of the Organizations who were fighting against the British Rule for their land are now fighting against the Union of India for the same cause. Due to under development in the North India states, most of the Insurgent Groups are currently active in that area.
Most Active Insurgent Groups in India
1. GNLA(Garo National Liberation Army)
- The Garo National Liberation Army(GNLA) was formed in 2009.
- The main objective of GNLA is to get a sovereign Garoland in Western areas of Meghalaya.
- GNLA has been involved in the killing, abduction, extortion, bomb blasts and attacks on Security Forces.
2. Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL)
- It is a separatist group in Manipur formed in the year 1984.
- The outfit primarily operates in the four valley districts of Imphal East, Bishenpur, Thoubal and Imphal West in Manipur.
- The purported objective of the KYKL is to ‘rebuild’ the Manipuri society by clearing it of all vices like immoral activities, drug trade and corruption. More on South Asia Terrorism Portal(SATP)
3. People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK)
- It is an armed insurgent group in Manipur formed under the leadership of R. K. Tulachandra in 1977.
- Its main objective is the expulsion of outsider’s from the State.
- PREPAK became dormant after its leader Tulachandra was killed in an encounter with the security forces in 1986.
4. Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland(NSCN)
- It is a nationalist separatist group based on Nagaland.
- It started rising immediately after the Indian Independence from Britishers with an objective to get a sovereign state for Naga peoples as they don’t wanted to join the Union of India.
- NSCN maintains its strong influence in the hill districts in Manipur inhabited by Nagas.
- According to NSCN manifesto, their slogan is “Nagaland for Christ”.
- It is also known as Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland – Unification.
- It was formed on 23rd November, 2007 after a truce agreement signed between the few cadres and leaders of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland-Isak-Muivah (NSCN-IM) and the rival National Socialist Council of Nagaland–Khaplang (NSCN-K) at Hovishe under Niuland sub-division in the Dimapur district.
6. Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council of Meghalaya(HNLC)
- It is a militant Organization formed in 1992 after the split of Hynniewtrep Achik Liberation Council (HALC) in Meghalaya.
- The HNLC primarily operates in the Khasi hills of Meghalaya. Since its formation, they are fighting Guerilla war against Indian Armed Forces and Indian Police. Julius K Dorphang is the ‘Chairman’ of the HNLC.
7. Kamtapur Liberation Organization(KLO)
- It is northeast based Militant Organization formed in the year 1995 whose objective is to form Kamtapur Nation from India.
- The KLO was formed to address problems of the Koch Rajbongshi people such as large-scale unemployment, land alienation, perceived neglect of Kamtapuri language, identity, and grievances of economic deprivation.
8. National Democratic Front of Bodoland(NDFB)
- It was an armed separatist Organization founded on 3rd October, 1986.
- It seeks to establish sovereign Bodoland for the Bodo people.
- Many members of this group has its root from a militant group called Bodo Security Force.
- This insurgent group has been targeting and attacking non Bodo civilians and Security forces in the state of Assam.
9. United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA)
- It is an armed separatist Organization in Assam founded on 7th April, 1979.
- It’s main objective is to establish an Independent state of Assam.
- Government of India banned this organization in 1990 citing it as a terrorist organization.
- This group also had ties with Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland(NSCN) in 1987.
10. National Liberation Front of Tripura(NLFT)
- It is an active Insurgent Group based on Tripura, India.
- Its main objective is to secede from India and form an Independent Tripuri State.
- National Liberation Front of Tripura has been listed as the Terrorist Organization in the Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002.
11. People’s Liberation Army (PLA)
- It is also known as People’s Liberation Army of Manipur which was founded by N. Bisheshwar Singh on 25th September 1978.
- Its main objective is to get a separate independent socialist state of Manipur.
- The cadres in this group are mostly from Meitei people and Pangal people.
- The estimated strength of this organization is found somewhere around 4000 as of year 2008.
12. United National Liberation Front (UNLF)
- It is also known as United National Liberation Front of Manipur.
- It is an active Insurgent Group in Manipur founded in the year 1969.
- As per NIA Acknowledgement in 2012, UNLF has been found to be fighting only for the sovereign status of Manipur.
- UNLF claimed to only resist Indian Armed Forces stationed in Manipur.
- They do not see Government of India as their enemy.
13. KLNLF(Karbi Longri N.C. Hills Liberation Front)
- It is a North East Insurgent group currently operating from Karbi Anglong and Dima Hasao district in Assam.
- It started its notorious operations from the year 2004.
- This group declared objective is Hemprek Kangthim, meaning self-rule/self-determination of the Karbi people.
- Currently, the outfit has around 200 cadres operating in the Karbi Anglong district.
14. UPDS(United People’s Democratic Solidarity)
- This group is formed from the merger of two terrorist outfits in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district, the Karbi National Volunteers (KNV) and Karbi People’s Front (KPF) in the year 1999.
- Kiri Rongphar was the founder ‘chairman’ of the outfit.
- The outfit’s main area of operations is in the Karbi Anglong district, with a relatively minor presence in the North Cachar Hills district.
- This group has known to be grown with the active assistance of National Socialist Council of Nagaland – Isak Muivah(NSCN-IM) who has been supplying arms and ammunition.
15. DHD(Dima Halam Daoga)
- It is an extremist group operating mainly in Assam and Nagaland.
- It is known to be the descendant of the Dimasa National Security Force (DNSF), which ceased operations in 1995.
- This group claimed to represent the Dimasa and their objective was to create a Dimaland or Dimaraji in those two states.
16. MULTA(Muslim United Liberation Tigers of Assam)
- It is an Islamist extremist Organization founded somewhere in 1996 in the Indian state of Assam by mostly Bangladeshi origin Muslim and Indigenous Assam Muslims.
- According to Security Forces, this group has been involved in multiple terrorist attacks in the state of Assam mostly in the Dhubri district.
- According to few other sources, this group was found to be cooperating with National Socialist Council of Nagaland – Isak Muivah(NSCN-IM).
- It is also known as National Socialist Council of Nagaland – Isak-Muivah originally separated from the National Socialist Council of Nagaland along with other faction called National Socialist Council of Nagaland – Khaplang due to their Internal differences.
- It was led by Isak Chisi Swu and Thuingaleng Muivah.
- The NSCN-IM primarily consists of Tangkhul Nagas who are in a majority in parts of Nagaland and the hills of Manipur.
- Its influence inside Manipur is restricted to the four districts of Senapati, Ukhrul, Chandel and Tamenglong.
- Like NSCN-IM, this group was also separated from the original National Socialist Council of Nagaland(NSCN).
- S S Khaplang is the Chairman of the outfit.
- The primary objective of the NSCN-K is the establishment of a ‘Greater Nagaland’ comprising of the Naga dominated areas of the neighbouring States within India, and contiguous areas in Myanmar.
- The outfit is active in the eastern parts of Nagaland, as well as in the Tirap and Changlang districts of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh.
19. ATTF(All Tripura Tiger Force)
- It is an active Insurgent Group based on Indian State of Tripura. It was formed in the year 1990 by a group of former Tripura National Volunteer members under the leadership of Ranjit Debbarma.
- This group is said to have been formed as the armed wing of the National Liberation Front of Tripura(NLFT).
- This group has its headquarter in Tarabon in Bangladesh.
20. JRMI(Jaintia Rajya Movement of India)
- It is a small separatist group based on Jaintia Region in Meghalaya.
- It’s main objective is to get a separate province in the name of historical kingdom of Jaintia Rajya from Meghalaya for tribal and non tribal hindu people.