In this article, I will take you through 33 Important Questions on History of Coins and Currency Notes. Many of the Kingdoms and Empires issued Coins and Currencies for various purposes in the ancient Indian Culture. While the history of coins can be traced back to the Ancient Greece Empire at around 600 BC, it is found to be first used by the Mahajanapadas in Indian sub-continent. After that many of the rulers issued gold, silver, iron, brass and copper coins in which Gupta Period Gold Coins are the most famous ones. We will go through all the important questions related to Coins and Currencies from various time periods that can be asked in your examinations.
History of Coins and Currency Notes
1. Who had first introduced gold coins in India ?
Ans. Kushan Emperor Vima Kadaphises at around 100 CE.
2. When did the World’s first coins appeared ?
Ans. The world’s first coin appeared around 600 BC by the Ancient Greece.
3. Who had first introduced coins in India ?
Ans. The first coin was introduced by Mahajanapadas of Indo-Gangetic Plain around 6th century BC.
4. Who had first introduced Copper Coins in India ?
Ans. Kanishka at around 100-200 CE
5. Who had first introduced Silver Coin in India ?
Ans. Sher Shah Suri
Also Read: 33 Best Questions on Tribal People in India
6. What is Tanka ?
Ans. The currency made up of Gold, Silver and Copper known as Tanka.
7. What is Jittals ?
Ans. The lower valued coin known as Jittals.
8. Which was the first Banks in India to issue Paper Currency ?
Ans. The Bank of Hindostan General Bank in Bengal and the Bengal Bank at around 18th Century
9. What of the different coins were used by the Britishers ?
Ans. Below are the coins used by the Britishers:-
- Gold Coin Known as Carolina
- Silver Coin Known as Angelina
- Copper Coins Known as Cupperoon
- Tin Coins Known as Tinny
10. Which Act brought the uniform coinage throughout the Country during British Era ?
Ans. The Coinage Act of 1835
11. When did the Rupee became the official currency of India ?
Ans. After the revolt of 1857
12. Which act provided the monopoly to Britishers to issue note throughout India ?
Ans. The Paper Currency Act of 1861
13. Who had first issued Punched Marked Coins in India ?
Ans. Punched Marked Coins known as Puranas or old Karshapanas was first issued by Mahajanapadas.
14. Which of the Coins were majorly used by the Mauryan Empire ?
Ans. Mauryan empire mostly used Silver Coins and a few copper pieces of metal in various shape, sizes and weights.
15. Which Period is known as the Golden Age of Indian Coinage ?
Ans. Gupta Period
16. Where was the first hoard of Gupta Coins found ?
Ans. It was found at Kalighat in Calcutta in 1783 AD.
17. Which of the images were mostly used in Silver Coins by the Gupta Rulers ?
Ans. They mostly used the image of Garuda, a mythical bird of Hindu Tradition and in some cases they replaced Garuda with Peacock.
18. From where did the word rupee Originated ?
Ans. The word Rupee originated from Sanskrit word Rupya which means shaped, stamped, impressed and also from the Sanskrit work raupya which means Silver.
19. Which Gupta Rulers issued Asvamedha or horse sacrifice coins ?
Ans. Samudragupta and Kumaragupta I
20. Which Gupta Rulers issued “King-Queen” types of Coins ?
Ans. Chandragupta I, Kumaragupta I and Skandagupta
21. How did we find the name of the queen of Chandragupta I ?
Ans. It was found from the King-Queen type of coin which Chandragupta I issued depicting the name of the queen.
22. Which goddess image was mainly depicted in the Coins by Gupta Rulers ?
Ans. Goddess Laxmi
23. Is it the merchant or state issued the first coins during 6th Century BC ?
Ans. It was first issued by Merchant guilds and later by the State.
24. When did the first rupee came into existence ?
Ans. Post accession of King George V in 1911, pig rupee came into existence.
25. When did the Portrait of Queen Victoria minted into the Coins ?
Ans. Coins issued after 1840 had the Portrait of Queen Victoria.
26. What of the different coins were issued by Chandragupta Maurya during Maurya Period ?
Ans. Chanakya, the Prime Minister of Chandragupta Maurya referred different coins as follows:-
- Gold Coin as Suvarnarupa
- Lead Coins as Sisarupa
- Copper Coins as Tamrarupa
- Silver Coins as Rupyarupa
27. Which of the Common Motifs appeared in the Gold Coins issued by Rajput Clans ?
Ans. Bull and Horseman
28. Which Iranian God Portrayed in the Vasishka Gold Dinar Coins ?
Ans. Iranian God Ardochso.
29. Which Language Kanishka switched to after initially using Greek Language on the Gold Coins ?
Ans. Bactrian Language, an Iranian Language which was spoken in the Central Asian Region of Bactria(present day Uzbekistan, Afghanistan and Tajikistan)
30. What is the Study of Coins Known as ?
31. Which Coins was Issued by King Harshavardhana ?
Ans. Harshavardhana never initiated any coins but copied the “Eastern Peacock” type of Kumaragupta from Gupta Period.
32. Which Currency Coin issued by Mughal Emperor Babur ?
Ans. Mughal Emperor Babur issued Standard Timurid Currency known as shahrukhi, named after Timur’s elder son Shahrukh Mirza.
33. Which token currency was issued by Muhammad Bin Tughluq ?
Ans. Muhammad Bin Tughluq issued coins made up of Brass and Copper whose value was equal to gold and silver coins.
For Linux/AWS Tutorials, Please check below Posts :-